Cars are generally safer than they have ever been but that doesn’t stop the European Commission wanting the roads to become a much safer place.
If the European Commission’s new proposal comes into force then cars will be fitted with ever more life-saving equipment within the next 3 years, and all this should come at no additional cost to the motorist.
The EC’s proposal outlines the requirement for all cars to be fitted with a mandatory 11 pieces of technology with the intent being on saving more than 7,300 lives over the next ten years.
The 11 new safety pieces include;
- Safety glass in case of an accident for pedestrians and cyclists
- Lane keeping assistance
- Reversing cameras will be essential
- Automatic braking should a driver fail to slow down in time
- Intelligent speed assistance
- Improved seatbelts
- Black Box accident recorders
- Emergency stop signalling
- Side-Impact Barriers
- Improvements to pedestrian impact zones on vehicles
- Drowsiness and Distraction monitoring
All this will come at no cost to the British Government and the improvements are welcomed as the EC state that 90% of road accidents are down to human error. That said, the UK is one of the safest countries in terms of road casualties. So, it looks to be exciting and much safer, times ahead.
If you’re looking for a Short Term Car Lease then Short Term Leasing can help. We lease vehicles nationwide from as little as 28 days, from superminis such as Fiat 500 and Toyota Aygo to saloons, coupes and SUV’s, we’ve got them all. Call the team today on 0330 330 9425 or complete the form below and we’ll be in touch as soon as we can.